Since Data Standard 2014, a lot has been improved. The numbering, dynamic property, replace with copy, etc. With the new feature, new controls came in the dialog, which refers to DLLs. Such DLLs are needed in order to interpret the dialogs. So, if you open a Data Standard XAML file with Visual Studio, the designer will only be able to render the dialog if all DLLs are referenced. As recently this question come up several times, I thought it would be good to give you a summary.
These are the DLLs that you’ll need in Visual Studio in order to properly edit a Data Standard XAML file.
- C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Vault 2016\Extensions\DataStandard\CreateObject.dll
- C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Vault 2016\Extensions\DataStandard\Common.dll
- C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2016\Addins\Data Standard\dataStandard.UI.dll
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Professional 2016\Explorer\Autodesk.Connectivity.WebServices.dll
Some of these DLLs are needed for the File.XAML, some for the Inventor.XAML and other for the tabs. However, as you probably will edit all of them eventually, just add them to your Visual Studio project and start editing.
Especially for the File.XML you will still see that the numbering scheme control throws an exception saying “Cannot create an instance of “DSNumSchemeCtrl”. Don’t worry about this. Visual Studio tries to instantiate such object and files. However, the dialog is visible and you can edit the XAML file.
So, in order to edit the Data Standard files, you will have to follow these steps:
- Create a new project in Visual Studio of type “WPF Application”. Preferable of type “Visual C#”
- name it “VDS”, or however you prefer
- Visual Studio will immediately open two files (MainWindow.XML and MainWindow.xaml.cs). Close both files, as we don’t need them.
- In the Solution Explorer (usually on the right) go the References and add the DLLs mentioned above
- In the “Solution Explorer” right click on the project and select “Add > Existing Item…” or just use the shortcut [SHIFT]+[ALT]+A
- Navigate to the Data Standard folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Vault 2016\Extensions\DataStandard\ and either from the Vault\Configuration or CAD\Configuration select the XAML files you like to edit. ATTENTION!! Add the file as a link by selecting “Add as link”
- In the Solution Explorer double click on the XAML file you like to edit
I hope this little description will help you getting started with editing Data Standard dialogs.